Chickpea Salad Sandwiches (a Forks Over Knives recipe)
* 1 15.5oz can chickpeas
* 3 Tbsp tahini*
* 2 tsp Dijon mustard (spicy or yellow)
* 1 Tbsp maple syrup
* ¼ cup red onions finely chopped
* ¼ celery finely chopped
* ¼ cup pickles (well drained)
* 1 tsp capers (well drained)
* sea salt to taste
* black pepper to taste
* 1 Tbsp roasted & unsalted sunflower seeds
* Your favorite bread, mine is sourdough!
* Place the well drained chickpeas in a mixing bowl and mash with a fork, leaving only a few beans whole.
* Add tahini, mustard, maple syrup, red onion, celery, pickles, capers, salt & pepper, and sunflower seeds to mixing bowl. Mix together. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
* Toast bread if desired, and prepare any other desired sandwich toppings (such as lettuce, tomato, and onion).
* Scoop a healthy amount of the chickpea salad (about ½ cup) onto one slice of bread, add desired toppings.
Notes: *Tahini (like the texture of peanut butter) is a condiment made from toasted ground hulled sesame. It is served by itself or as a major ingredient in hummus. Tahini is used in the cuisines of Eastern Mediterranean and parts of North Africa. It’s delicious!
*I like the texture of my Chickpea Salad not very mushy, so I drain everything well. If you would like yours more wet just add a little pickle juice or don’t drain everything as throughly.
*This Chickpea Salad is also tasty on a fresh bed of salad greens!
April 15, 2020